Elsinore's classicist leisure castle, with its accompanying green park, was built by one of the 1700s greatest European architects. Today the castle is almost back to health after a thorough restoration, necessary due to an attack of true dry rot.
Before Frederik 2.s leisure mansion Lundehave was turned into Marienlyst Slot, the roof terrace was a very popular spot for the king’s party guests. But on Marienlyst, the copper roof was not designed to be traversed.
The royalty could still not stand the temptation of walking up there through a tiny hatch, which meant the roof lasted only 40 years before it was so ramshackle, and leaky, that it had to be replaced. Now a new copper roof had been put on Marienlyst castle, and on top of it a new roof terrace, so the copper hopefully lasts longer this time around.
An interesting detail about the castle is, that the rear entrance is actually the most important. It is placed on the third floor and turns out towards Kongens Have. It was through that door that the king arrived at the castle on his horse or wagon, and thus the grandest room in the castle is placed on the top floor of the castle, just on top of the rear entrance.
Marienlyst Slot was built by Niclas-Henri Jardin in 1759-64. The castle was a royal castle until the middle of 1851, at which point Elsinore municipality bought up the entire estate. Since then, Marienlyst castle has functioned as a spa resort, private residence, museum, representatives office for Elsinore municipality’s city council, and in its later years, as an art gallery.
From 2008 the castle has been closed, and now waits for restorations to finish.
Behind Marienlyst Slot stretched, along a stretch of coast, an old romantic garden that in the first half of the 1800s was one of Denmark’s most famous excursion spots. Today there are still sign left of the garden, although great parts have been filled with buildings since then. Feriebyen and Hellebo Park can be found here, among others.